Atkinson was born in Australia but is now based in Wellington, New Zealand. She has degrees in Fine Art (Massey University, RMIT) and Applied Art (Whitereia New Zealand), and her practice is informed by these discourses and an interest in research. Projects deal with memory, identity, social history and relational aesthetics and are resolved through a variety of media.
Atkinson was a board-member of the Wellington Sculpture Trust from 2001-16. She is a member of TheSeeHere and OCCUPATION: Artist and was selected for HandShake 4 and 5 projects.
- Bachelor of Visual Arts and Design: Whitireia New Zealand 2007
- MA Fine Art, RMIT, Melbourne 2005
- BFA (1st class Hons), Massey University, Wellington 2003
- Whitireia Artist in Residence 2014
- SCA Research Residence, Sydney College of the Arts, 2009
- Co-founding member of The See Here, artist-run window gallery 2010-Current
- Co-founding member of Occupation: Artist
Selected solo shows
- Salon Rouge, Melbourne, performance
- Des Refuses, Salon Rouge, performance, Auckland City Art Gallery
- At Home, performance, Toi Poneke, Wellington
- Untitled, The See Here, Wellington